…AIBD helps present a mortgage-free home.
The Best of American Living Awards partnered with AIBD and Operation Finally Home to host the first BALA Live Design Competition at the 2013 International Building Show. The team from BSB Design in Des Moines, Iowa created the winning design working within the IBS Live booth inside the IBS exhibit hall. Then, during a special BALA reception, Operation Finally Home announced they would be building and donating the home to Air Force Ssgt. Laura Sellinger in Clearwater, Florida.
Mrs. Sellinger, pictured right, is receiving the good news from Dan Wallrath, founder of Operation Finally Home (right) and Brian Lamb, the Florida builder who will be donating the construction.
AIBD Certified Professional Member Karen Kassik-Michelsohn chaired this year’s BALA, directed the live design competition and presented the BALA trophy to BSB Design parter Jerry Messman. “I’m very proud to have been able to do this for [Laura and John]…I’m looking forward to working with them over the next few months.” Jerry said to the press after receiving the award.
CLICK HERE and check out the design program, the winning design, as well as the other three outstanding entries created by Architect Roger Caldwell, the Xactware team and the Cal Poly team.
…Actions by the House of Delegates.
Last Friday the House of Delegates, which is made up of representatives from the AIBD state societies and at large states, met in Las Vegas for its first of two meetings in 2013. With more than 30 of the 54 delegates counted present, the following are a few of the actions taken. Contact your state representative to get a full report.
- A Conflict of Interest Policy and a Records Retention Policy were adopted
- A procedure for allowing Delegates to participate remotely in future meetings was approved
- The Continuing Education Policiy was updated. Some highlights are:
– Only Certified Professional Members must report CEs
– More architectural tours accepted
– Easier reporting procedures
– New Primary and Elective requests
– To view a summary of the changes, CLICK HERE
More detailed policy documents will be distributed soon
- The new member initiation fee is waived during May and June, 2013
- A collaborative agreement with the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists was tabled until the next Delegates Meeting
- Vancouver, BC was chosen as the site of the 2016 AIBD National Convention
February 1 – AIBD Mississippi membership meeting, Hattiesburg, MS
February 2 – AIBD Ohio membership meeting, New Albany, OH
February 5 – AIBD’s 2013 Economic Forecast Webinar (Register for FREE – CLICK HERE)
February 9 & 10 – NCBDC Exam in Houston, TX
March 1 & 2 – NC & SC AIBD Annual Spring Conference, North Myrtle Beach, SC
March 7-9 – AIBD California Annual Conference, Ventura, CA
March 15 & 16 – NCBDC Exam in Clearwater, FL
April 25 & 26 – NCBDC Exam in Hartford, CT
May 6 & 7 – NCBDC Exam in Atlanta, GA
July 15-18 – AIBD National Convention, Langham Hotel, Pasadena, CA
Free SEO for Building Designers Email Course
You'll also receive our latest content by email.