…Frank Lloyd Wright inspired tours & discussions.
MASON CITY, IA – This Thursday and Friday the AIBD Iowa Society is hosting two days of tours and discussions at the Park Inn in Mason City. Beginning Thursday evening with private tours of Prairie School and Usonian homes, continuing Friday morning with a restoration overview and tour of the Park Inn designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and concluding with a discussion on the significance of Prairie School housing developments Rock Crest and Rock Glen.
Sandwiched between the tours and housing style discussion, AIBD Executive Director Steve Mickley will host a Town Hall style presentation on AIBD. “I’ve been sent some questions in advance that will make great icebreakers.” says Steve, “What’s happening with AIBD? Why are we located in DC? What is the future of our certification program? But the beauty of a Town Hall discussion is where the topic can lead when questions are asked on the spot.”
For more information on the event and to register to attend CLICK HERE.
…AIBD Contributes $1350 and new TV to local Habitat.
WASHINGTON, DC – While attending the 2013 AIBD Annual Convention in Pasadena, CA, the attendees raised $1350 and a 42″ HDTV to the San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity. The money was raised during a series of auctions held throughout the three days of the convention. Many of the door prizes provided by sponsors (SoftPlan, USP/Hardy Frames, Marvin/Integrity, Stego Industries, and Simpson StrongTie) were recycled as auction items. Included was a 42″ VISIO television originally slated as a door prize by Energy Innovations by Harry Boody. The winning bidders were Certified Members Sam Liberti and Mike Keesee who then donated the TV to SGV Habitat for Humanity. “Your team’s financial donation will go directly to home repair.” said SGV Habitat for Humanity Executive Director Dr. Sonja Yates. “The next family whose home we repair will certainly be surprised when we show up with a television!” added Volunteer Coordinator Marty McBride.
This is the third year the AIBD Annual Convention has contributed to the local community hosting its event. In 2012 a group of volunteers installed siding on a Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity home near Wilmington, NC, and in 2011 AIBD landscaped a rent-to-own home owned by the Inter City Christian Federation in Grand Rapids, MI.
…The College of Fellows to begin inductions.
WASHINGTON, DC – The 16 year restriction on inducting someone new into the AIBD College of Fellows has been removed. The size of the College of Fellows was originally based on a percentage of active Certified Members of AIBD. On July 15th the AIBD House of Delegates, made up of representatives from each of the state societies, voted to remove the restriction and allow the Fellows themselves to decide the appropriate number through needs and specific qualifications.
The AIBD Bylaws state, ” The highest attainable professional body within the Institute shall be the College of Fellows, composed of Certified Professional members who have notably contributed to the advancement of the profession of building design by general excellence, by design and literature, or by design and public service.” Yet the College has been unable to grow their ranks due to constraints based on stagnant membership growth over the past two decades. This change is effective immediately and the College of Fellows is accepting nominations.
To find out more about the qualifications of membership in the College and to submit a nomination, CLICK HERE.
…Recent actions by the House of Delegates.
WASHINGTON, DC – The AIBD House of Delegates met in Pasadena, CA on July 15th and following actions were taken.
- Based on a recommendation from the Board of Directors, the membership of four societies are to be given notification of deficiencies in their society’s corporate status, its affiliation agreements with AIBD and/or membership. The notification will include a six month deadline to correct the deficiencies or the House will discuss revoking the society’s charter.
- The proposed 2013/2014 Fiscal Year Budget was presented by the Finance Committee and adopted.
- A policy requiring that candidates for a District Director position have at least one year of service on the House of Delegates was abolished.
- The 2013/2014 Board of Directors was elected, including reelection of five incumbents and two new Board Members.
- The House approved a reciprocal agreement with the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.
- A procedure for the House and Board to adopt policy positions was approved.
- A reciprocal agreement with Hanley Wood Media was updated.
- A policy requiring the Board of Directors to submit written reports to the House of Delegates 30 days prior to a meeting of the House was adopted.
…More events ahead.
- August 2 – AIBD Iowa Quarterly Meeting, Mason City, IA
- August 16 & 17 – NCBDC Exam in Washington, DC (Closed)
- August 24 – AIBD North Carolina Quarterly Meeting, Rock Hill, NC
- September 5 – AIBD Northeast Quarterly Meeting, Devens, MA
- September 27 & 28 – NCBDC Exam in Austin, TX (Registration Deadline August 30)
- October 24 & 25 – NCBDC Exam in St. Francisville, LA (Registration Deadline September 30)
- October 25 & 26 – AIBD Florida Quarterly Meeting, Orlando, FL
- October 25 & 26 – AIBD Louisiana/Mississippi Joint Convention, St. Francisville, LA
- November 16 – AIBD North Carolina Quarterly Meeting and Design Competition Awards, Lexington, NC
- December 5 – AIBD Northeast Quarterly Meeting
- December 6 – AIBD Florida Organizational Meeting, Apopka, FL
- (2014) February 6 & 7 – AIBD National Mid-year Meeting, Las Vegas, NV
Free SEO for Building Designers Email Course
You'll also receive our latest content by email.