Tax season can be stressful even when you’re organized. If you’re among the millions still scrambling to gather last-minute records or receipts, the National Federation of Independent Business has some last-minute tips to keep in mind:
Use a computer program to cut down on time, frustration and errors. If you are preparing your own taxes, software programs like QuickBooks or Web sites like TurboTax.com help you calculate your income, expenses and credits, and can keep your information on file for future reference. E-filed returns are processed faster than mailed ones, and often you will receive your refund quicker as well.
Make sure you have correctly filled out all of the necessary forms. To help small-business owners file their taxes, IRS.gov has a special section with helpful tips and forms for filing and paying your taxes.The IRS recently released information to help small-business owners in deducting business expenses that fall under the “Other” category on the Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business form. According to the IRS, expenses that do not fit into a particular category but are still deductible are deemed “other,” and may include bad debts, business start-up costs, amortization of certain costs and the Gulf Opportunity Zone clean-up costs.
Double check your return before you submit it. Even if you are using a computer program or Web-based software to file, be sure to double-check your return–and all attached forms–before sending it in. Common errors include misspelling names, listing incomplete or incorrect Social Security numbers, checking the wrong filing status or using an incorrect form.
Request an extension.If you don’t think you’ll be able to make today’s deadline and you file your taxes as an individual, you can request a six-month extension using Form 4868.
SOURCE: The National Federation of Small Business. To learn more about NFIB, CLICK HERE.
…AIBD Florida gets Franck on classical design.
The Florida Society of AIBD is glad to welcome back Christine G.H. Franck for another series of classical architecture training, sketching and walking tour of historic St. Augustine, Florida. Ms. Franck will be speaking on the secrets of architectural composition, the principles and practices for designers at this Saturday’s event. The Florida Board of Directors will be meeting the day before on Friday evening.
Join the AIBD LinkedIn Group where Ms. Franck has made availalbe over 11,000 of her personal photos illustrating classical design from all around the world.
For more information about the event, visit the Florida Society website by CLICKING HERE.
…Welcome new members – Bath, Ferro, Nam
AIBD has had the honor of accepting three new Professional Members in the past two weeks. Please help us in welcoming Christopher D. Bath of Gable Peaks Home Design in Deatsville, AL, Joseph L. Ferro of Ferro Home Designs in Wilmington, NC, and Sophear Nam of Eagle Nest Construction, LLC in Livermore, CA.
…More events ahead.
- April 19 & 20 – AIBD Florida Quarterly Meeting, St. Augustine, FL
- April 25 & 26 – NCBDC Exam in Hartford, CT (Registration Deadline March 14)
- (Just added) May 1 – AIBD PA lunch-and-learn, Harrisburg, PA
- May 3 – AIBD Washington’s Spring Conference, Kent, WA
- May 4 – AIBD North Carolina Quarterly Meeting, Concord, NC
- May 6 & 7 – NCBDC Exam in Atlanta, GA (Registration Deadline April 6)
- (Just added) May 11 – AIBD Ohio Quarterly Meeting, Dayton, OH
- June 5 & 6 – NCBDC Exam in San Antonio, TX (Registration Deadline May 5)
- June 7 – AIBD Northeast Quarterly Meeting, Gloucester, MA
- June 21 & 22 – AIBD Florida Quarterly Meeting, West Palm Beach, FL
- July 13 & 14 – NCBDC Exam in Pasadena, CA (Registration Deadline June 13)
- July 15-18 – AIBD National Convention, Langham Hotel, Pasadena, CA
- August 17 & 18 – NCBDC Exam in Washington, DC (Registration Deadline July 17)
- August 24 – AIBD North Carolina Quarterly Meeting, Rock Hill, NC
- September 5 – AIBD Northeast Quarterly Meeting, Devens, MA
- October 25 & 26 – AIBD Florida Quarterly Meeting, Orlando, FL
- November 16 – AIBD North Carolina Quarterly Meeting and Design Competition Awards, Lexington, NC
- December 5 – AIBD Northeast Quarterly Meeting
- December 6 – AIBD Florida Organizational Meeting, Apopka, FL
Free SEO for Building Designers Email Course
You'll also receive our latest content by email.