Qualified Remodeler is seeking articles for a new column to be introduced in 2013. The Designer’s Notebook is an editorial focused on residential remodeling and championed by AIBD. If you have the desire to write about design challenges and solutions, case studies, opinions about design, architecture in general, inspirations, gripes and complaints about trends, top 10 lists…practically anything that relates to residential remodeling, QR wants to hear from you.
No prior writing experience is necessary. Professional editors are standing by. Images are preferred with each article. Photos should be high-resolution, 8”x10” dimensions or approximately 2400×3200 pixels (an 8 megapixel camera or better should accomplish this). Photos are great! But other images to consider include drawings, renderings and even napkin sketches! QR will go over all of this with each author one-at-one.
Interested? Simply reply to Rob Heselbarth, QR Editorial Director, with your questions or to discuss the next steps.
Editorial Director | Qualified Remodeler | designersnotebook@AIBDmember.org
…Reviving the lost art of molding.
Northern California needs your RSVP ASAP!
The AIBD Golden Gate Chapter meeting that will take place this Thursday (September 19th) at 7:00 p.m. PST. WindsorONE and The Moulding Company will host the meeting at The Moulding Company’s office – 355 Adrian Road, Millbrae, CA 94030.
- Understand the origin of classic molding design
- Learn how moldings have the power to change the way people experience a room
- Rediscover the lost art of crafting moldings
- Learn how to specify historic moldings utilizing today’s materials
- Use moldings to generate lasting results and satisfied clients
Please RSVP immediately to Thomas Stremlau by calling 415-902-0100 or writing Thomas@windsorone.com
…A Summer social.
The Washington Society is hosting their End of Summer Social this Saturday (September 21) in Renton. Come visit with your fellow members and their families as we say goodbye to another WA summer. Bring a salad or desert to share and burgers will be provided. Contact Karl Koning @ 206-550-5458 for directions.
…AIBD Florida announces workshop discounts!
BELOOSE Graphic Workshop
Great Hall of the Home Builders Association of Metro Orlando | 544 Mayo Avenue | Maitland, FL 32751 | 407-629-9242
- AIBD Professional Member - $250 (normally $395)
- Student Member Price - $100 (normally $295)
- Non-Member Price - $500
The two-day hands-on graphic workshop includes proper drawing attitude, over 30 principles of loose graphics, quick and easy way to set up 1 and 2 points perspective and rendered them with pencil, ink, colored pencils and markers. Learning how to draw people, trees and cars will also be included.
- Thursday October 24th from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM
- Friday October 25th from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
For more information and to register: CLICK HERE
…CA Assembly Bill continues to get unanimous support.
This bill (CA SB 630) would provide that no person may use an architect’s instruments of service, as specified, without the consent of the architect in a written contract, written agreement, or written license specifically authorizing that use. The bill would prohibit an architect from unreasonably withholding consent to use his or her instruments of service from a person for whom the architect provided the services, except as specified. Read the full bill text: CLICK HERE.
…PA Senate Bill going nowhere, for now.
This is a bill (PA SB 1060) providing for the registration of interior designers; and imposing powers and duties on the Bureau of Consumer Protection. As it has been introduced, the bill does not contain any exemptions meaning AIBD members may be authorized to design a full single family residence in the Architectural Law, but would be prohibited from designing the interiors without being a licensed Interior Designer.
Pennsylvania Society President Michael Stayman reports, “It looks like this threat has been mitigated, for now.” NKBA attorney Edward S. Nagorsky updated the society on the bill’s lack of progress, “We met with Committee Chair Senator Tomlinson and he hadn’t heard anything from the Sponsor (Ward) on it, but it was my sense that he’ll wait to see if Ward is really pushing for it.” Since the legislature is out of session until later in the month, Mr. Nagorsky doesn’t believe any further action is necessary unless and Bill begins to gain traction.
“When one belongs to the AIBD and the PA Society, they get the benefit of networking not only with themselves and fellow designers, but also with the network of the Society’s leadership with other like-minded organizations. By working together, we were able to get the facts in front of a key legislator before the bill was on his radar.” Michael recently wrote in a response to Ed’s update.
Read the full bill text: CLICK HERE.
…More events ahead.
- September 21 – AIBD Washington End of Summer Social, Renton, WA
- September 26-28 – AIBD Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO
- September 28 – AIBD Alabama, Birmingham, AL
- September 27 & 28 – NCBDC Exam in Austin, TX (Registration closed)
- October 12 – AIBD California visit to the National Solar Decathlon – Irvine, CA
- October 13 – AIBD California Rendering Workshop & Evening Reception, Carlsbad, CA
- October 24 & 25 – NCBDC Exam in St. Francisville, LA (Must apply & register September 30)
- October 24, 25 & 26 – AIBD Florida Quarterly Meeting, Orlando, FL
- October 25 & 26 – AIBD Louisiana/Mississippi Joint Convention, St. Francisville, LA
- November 16 – AIBD North Carolina Quarterly Meeting and Design Competition Awards, Lexington, NC
- December 5 – AIBD Northeast Quarterly Meeting
- December 6 – AIBD Florida Organizational Meeting, Apopka, FL
- (2014) February 6 & 7 – AIBD National Mid-year Meeting, Las Vegas, NV
- (2014) July 29 – August 1 – AIBD National Convention & International Conference on Residential Design, Columbus, OH (Tentative)