Happy Independence Day!
Compass Club to host pizza bowling party.
When discussing the American Institute of Building Design with other industry professionals, encourage them to list you as their “sponsor” when filling out their AIBD membership application. When this happens, you become a member of the Compass Club.
AIBD invites all the Compass Club members, and a guest, to join us for a pizza and bowling parting on Thursday evening, August 25, 2016 in Denver, Colorado. The 8-lane bowling alley at the Denver Athletic Club has been reserved for a private party for two hours. Meet the other AIBD Compass Club members and have a good time throwing down some slices and suds while tossing the ‘ol bowling ball down the lane.
It’s not too late to join the club…
Earn 2 points for recruiting a new Professional Member and 1 point for recruiting a new member at any other membership level. Members enter the club upon their first recruit and then Compass Club lapel pins are awarded as follows:
- 5 points – A bronze Compass Club pin.
- 15 points – A silver Compass Club pin.
- 25 points – A gold Compass Club pin.
- 50 points – A diamond Compass Club pin.
Earn a free membership renewal…
Individuals who recruit three paying Professional level members or one paying Corporate level member during a membership period (July 1 through June 30) receives one-year of complimentary members dues.
To view our roster of Compass Club members CLICK HERE.
ARDA deadline extended to July 18th.
The deadline for uploading your American Residential Design Award entry (e.g. submitting pictures, plans, descriptions, etc.) is now extended to 11:59 p.m. Monday, July 18, 2016. “This will allow designers and design teams to work on their entries over the weekend.” Says Steve Mickley, AIBD Executive Director. “However, we ask that everyone who is entering to be registered by the close of business on Friday, July 15th.” He adds.
The American Residential Design Awards is the American Institute of Building Design’s premier award program exhibiting design excellence in the residential building industry. It spotlights the most creative and innovative residential designers, builders, remodelers, architects, developers, land planners and interior designers in the nation.
Get $50 off your Best in American Living Award entry!
BALA registration is open from now until September 1, 2016. Anyone wishing to enter may visit www.BestofAmericanLiving.com and, just like ARDA, submit their projects digitally. Participants do not have to be members of NAHB to enter BALA and the discount code reduces the non-member entry fee down enough to nearly match the members’ price.
Two weeks left to register for ARDA!
CLICK HERE to download the list of categories and entry requirements.
CLICK HERE to download your registration form.
Welcome new AIBD member!
Please help us welcome those who joined or rejoined AIBD this past week.
We are pleased you have chosen AIBD as a resource for professional and personal growth. Membership provides technical information, advocacy, professional networking opportunities, as well as participate in programming sessions offered at various conferences throughout the year. All designed to help advance your career.
Visit “SearchHomeDesigners.com” to reach out and exchange information with other professionals in the building designer industry supporting the AIBD mission.
Summer Conference hotel block closes in three weeks.
- The AIBD hotel web page address is: http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/groups/personalized/D/DENDDGI-AIBD16-20160823/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
- Group Code: AIBD16
Take advantage of this fantastic opportunity to meet and spend time with designers from all over the country in a relaxed atmosphere. The following is the proposed educational session line-up. Check www.AIBD.org/summerconference often for updates.
- BeLoose (Mini-Workshop): Drawing Quickly, Effectively & Confidently (2 hours) Mike Lin
- The Business of Design: Contracts & Corporate Structure (2 hours) Robert Newkirk
- Show Your Work in a Better Light: New Tips & Techniques for Lighting & Daylighting Homes (90 minutes) Doug Walter
- A Complete Residential Project in SketchUp (90 minutes) Michael Brightman
vs.and 3D: How to Stop Being Opposed (60 minutes) Benjamin Tabolt
- Turn Your Passion into Success (60 minutes) Angela Visbeen
- Closing Session: 60 Design Ideas in 60 Minutes (60 minutes) Wayne Visbeen
CLICK HERE to get more information about the conference, the hotel and to register.
July First Tuesday @2:00 moves to second Tuesday.
Building Proportions and the golden ratio of design *Easy ways to find errors*
Not sure what’s a little “off” about a home design? It could be you need to do some math. Whether in nature, art, or building design, there are certain rules and ratios that can account for an aesthetically pleasing composition. Mathematicians have studied the “golden ratio” for thousands of years. This golden ratio appears everywhere and can be calculated with formulas, number sequences, and even displayed graphically.
Join us for the First Tuesday @2:00 (p.m. EDT) presented by American Residential Design Awards winner, certified AIBD Professional member, and AIBD President, Kevin Holdridge.
CLICK HERE to register.
- Date: Tuesday, July 12, 2016
- Time: 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. EDT
- Cost: Complimentary
CLICK HERE and to learn more about AIBD events!
Tampa Bay chapter half-day event, July 9th.
Archicad vs. SoftPlan!
Attend the next AIBD Tampa Bay Chapter meeting and learn the pros and cons of two software systems: SoftPlan and Archicad. Jon Sage will be demonstrating Graphisoft’s Archicad and David Wilson will be demonstrating SoftPlan architectural design software.
Also, CEDIA certified course presenter Mike Stram of Easy Living with Technology will be presenting a CE course on Lighting Control. Participants will walk away from this course with a basic understanding of lighting control terminology, and the benefits and solutions related to lighting control
CLICK HERE to download the meeting brochure
- Date: Saturday, July 9, 2016
- Location: Easy Living with Technology, 15201 Roosevelt Blvd., Suite 111, Clearwater, Florida 33760
- Time: 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. EDT
- Cost: Complimentary (continental breakfast and lunch included)
- RSVP by July 1: Tim Roney – firstname.lastname@example.org
Tri-State OKI Chapter meeting, July 9th.
- Date: Saturday, July 9th, 2016
- Time: 11:00 am to 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Rusty Bucket Tavern – 7800 Olentangy River Rd, Worthington Hills, Columbus, OH
- Purpose: Presentation: Designing the New Contemporary Home (Discussion of styles, massing considerations and material detailing methods) Planning for our Future – Creating additional AIBD Chapters and holding RIPPLE meetings.
- RSVP: By Wednesday, July 6, 2016 to Janette Bennett, OKI Tristate Assistant at: 859-441-9460 or email@example.com
A REMINDER! If this is your first meeting or you are attending as a guest, there is no charge. Just send in your RSVP to let us know you will be joining us. ~ Questions? Contact Tim Enzweiler, OKI Chapter President at: 859-635-3721 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the car people in the group, this is day 2 of the Good Guys Nationals here in Columbus. 6,500 + street rods, 1974 vintage or older. They meet at the fairgrounds but many of the hotels have unofficial free “get togethers” in the evening after dinner. Stay for dinner and see the incredible cars and burnouts etc. (Marriott North off of Busch Blvd and Crosswoods around Winking Lizard-burnouts).
Down East Chapter meeting, July 12th.
Dan Thomas from Dan Thomas Builders will be presenting general information and “Best Practices” on insulated concrete forms (ICF’s). Dan has built and designed numerous ICF homes over the last 20 years and has a wealth of knowledge on the subject.
Free public parking is available across from the restaurant. When you arrive ask the hostess to direct you to the AIBD meeting upstairs
- Date: Tuesday, July 12, 2016
- Location: Winslow’s Deli, 120 W 5th St Greenville NC 27858
- Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
Northwest Louisiana Chapter meeting, July 12th.
Keys to Success with LP SmartSide Trim & Siding.
The SWLA Chapter will have Kip Faulk with LP Building Products as their guest and sponsor. He will be providing training on three LP products: SmartSide Trim & Siding, FlameBlock, TechShield and Armor-Strand. This presentation has 2 CE (Elective) credits of value.
CLICK HERE to download the meeting flyer.
- Date: Tuesday, July 12, 2016
- Location: Padnuh’s BBQ, 7805 Youree Dr, Shreveport, LA 71105
- Time: 11:30 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. CDT
Triad Chapter meeting, July 14th.
Join the Triad Chapter and its speaker Mike Hamm with Residential Elevator. He will talk about the do’s and don’ts for designing elevators for new homes & additions.
- Date: Thursday, July 14, 2016
- Location: Pella’s conference room, 220 Seneca Road, Greensboro, NC, 27406
- Time: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. EDT
Denver Metro Chapter launch event, July 22nd.
This Wednesday the AIBD Board of Directors will be considering a request for a chapter charter in Denver, CO. With the anticipation of an approval, the new chapter invites you to their inaugural meeting to network as they strive to provide the best future through learning, sharing and understanding for our clients.
Their presenter will be Pete Schiffers, who is the Field Marketing Manager for Norbord, Inc., the largest OSB manufacturer in the world. He has been promoting wood products to new home construction and industrial markets for 28 years. He’s currently in the process of introducing a new “Perfect Length” OSB Wall sheathing panel to builders in the Denver area and will be addressing this concept with us at our initial meeting. This panel helps to eliminate interior wall blocking, air infiltration, and strapping between floors, while reducing waste and labor costs! We’ll also discuss some of Norbord’s other innovative flooring and stair tread products and then wrap up our meeting with “The 10 Most Common Framing Mistakes”, a presentation borrowed from the American Plywood Assn.
All industry partners are welcome. Please RSVP by contacting the AIBD, Metro Denver Colorado Chapter contact, Michael Payne at email@example.com or 303 325 1849
- Date: Friday, July 22, 2016
- Location: Empire Drafting and Design, LLC, 2570 S Zephyr Court, Lakewood CO, 80227
- Time: 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. MDT