Call for Micro-Volunteers, AIBD Codes and Standards Committee.
The 2020 international building code development process has begun. Proposals to amend the codes in “Group A” have been submitted and soon they will be available for public review and comment. The AIBD Codes and Standards Committee needs industry professionals to help sift through the various proposals with the intent of identifying those that affect the performance of the members of AIBD, as well as the entire building design profession.
Your commitment is limited. Your work will begin March1 and be completed by April 1. The public hearings start April 15th and AIBD is attending to testify on any items that you think may, (1) jeopardize a building designer’s ability to practice; (2) affect the basic planning of a building; or (3) substantially increase construction costs without good reason.
A wide range of design disciplines are needed. Micro-volunteers should have knowledge or interest in one or more of the following areas:
- Fire Safety
- Swimming Pools and Spas
- Property Maintenance
- Fuel Gas
- Wildland-Urban Interface
Interested parties apply in writing to info@AIBD.org. Please provide a brief bio and identify which of the disciplines listed above you have experience in.
People in your area are using Google to find someone to design their home.
If you haven’t optimized your website for the search engines, you may not be showing up in their searches. This process is called Search Engine Optimization, or SEO for short.
There are various aspects to internet marketing that you could be doing to bring new clients or sales and SEO is the least you should be doing. Once you know what to do, it’s easy to maintain and costs little time.
We’ve written a post on the AIBD blog that well help you get started with SEO for building designers.
Your competition is doing SEO on their website. Are you?
Click here to read more on the AIBD blog.
The AIBD – Metro Denver Colorado Chapter Meeting on February 23rd.
This meeting’s presentation is by Ari Stuckenschneider, the Rocky Mountain Sales Representative for EqoPro, LLC. EqoPro is the distributor for Ecoraster®, Purus Plastics NA permeable paving grid, for the western US.
Ari will review the features and benefits of the Ecoraster® permeable grid system.
All industry partners are welcome.
- Date: February 23, 2018.
- Time: 11:00:00 AM CST / 12:00 PM EST to 12:30:00 PM CST / 1:30 PM EST
- Location: Raccoon Creek Golf Course – 7301 West Bowles Ave. Litton, CO 80123 – (303) 932-0199
For more information, check out the AIBD calendar.
AIBD Salt Lake Metro Chapter meeting on March 5th.
Milgard windows has offered to host a lunch and learn for the AIBD Salt Lake Metro Chapter on March 5th!
We’ll learn more about their products, installation, details, and much more.
The location will be determined as we get closer to this event and know how many will attend.
You’re welcome to invite other designers, builder clients, or anyone else that can benefit from learning more about Milgard products.
Lunch will be provided.
- Date: March 5, 2018.
- Time: 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Location: TBD
For more information, check out the AIBD calendar.
AIBD – Susquehanna Valley Chapter Lunch & Learn on March 8th.
Topic: Deck Building and Design
Presented By: Erin Barker, Simpson Strong-Tie Rep.
- Basics of Deck Building
- Critical Construction Connections
- Connector and Fastener Selection
- Load Capacity
- Corrosion Issues
- Deck Inspection
- IBC and IRC Compliance
- Course is worth 1 LU/HSW
- Date: March 8, 2018.
- Time: 10:45:00 AM CST / 11:45 AM EST to 12:30:00 PM CST / 1:30 PM EST
- Location: The Boardroom at Arthur’s Terrace, 222 Eden Rd., Lancaster, PA 17601
RSVP by phone: 717-989-4491.
For more information, check out the AIBD calendar.
AIBD Launches BIM Certification
Earn your Certified Residential BIM Manager certificate.
Building information modeling (BIM) is a data-led process that allows project teams to manage information from the design stage and throughout the construction life-cycle. The American Institute of Building Design recognizes an immediate need in the residential construction industry for high level specialists in BIM.
Attend this two-day interactive forum and grow your management skills, earning a “BIM-R®” credential while you do it.
- Date: March 15 & 16, 2017
- Location: Mitek Distribution Facility, 4380 International Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30354
- Registration: (Member/Non-Member):
- $495/$595 on or before February 15, 2018
- $545/$645 on or before March 10, 2018
- $595/$695 at the door (Inquire first, please)
- Lodging: AIBD has reserved a limited number of rooms at the Holiday Inn & Suites, Atlanta Airport North, which is about 2 miles from the classroom. Contact our staff at 800.366.2423 or info@AIBD.org to reserve your room for $109 (plus taxes) per night.
CLICK HERE to reserve your seat (Space is limited to 15 participants per conference and admissions are on a first-come, first-served, basis)
For more information, check out the BIM-R Conference page.
Learn work-from-home business success strategies in this online training.
There are so many benefits to working from home: flexible schedule, more time with family, no glass ceiling… However, there are challenges: feeling isolated, getting distracted, working too much (to name a few!).
Join us on Construct-Ed for the First Tuesday @2:00 recording of a live panel discussion webinar where you’ll learn work-from-home business success strategies from building designers who are doing it! How do our panelists handle client meetings? What kind of tax deductions can they claim? How do they keep their home and work lives separated? We’ll find out. Plus some questions from the audience.
Certified Professional Building Designers (CPBD) will earn 1.0 Primary CE unit for completing the course.
To register, or just to get more information, click here. AIBD Members, enroll at a discount! Call 1-800-366-2423 or write info@AIBD.org for the member code.
The American Institute of Building Design (AIBD) believes in the consumer’s right to decide who designs their home. AIBD supports that belief by providing education and resources designed to help the consumer make informed decisions and the professional practice at peak performance. Become a part of our mission. www.AIBD.org.
Upcoming Cadsoft events for the month of February, 2018:
Bathroom Design Webinar @ Online Webinar
Learn how to:
- Insert and customize a Vanity
- Insert and create a custom shower
- Create a shower door
- Insert fixtures
- Insert a tub in a platform
When: Feb 20 @ 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm (Eastern)
Understanding Locations Webinar @ Online Webinar
Learn how to set up building locations properly so you have the heights correct and the default framing information specified for every project.
When: Feb 27 @ 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm (Eastern)
Upcoming free GreenHome Institute webinars:
Reducing EMFs in residential construction, Assessing and Mitigating “Dirty Electricity” Free CE Webinar
- Know the sources of unhealthy dirty electricity EMFs
- Articulate the health impacts of dirty electricity EMFs
- Understand strategies to prevent dirty electricity EMFs
- Reiterate how dirty electricity fits in with other types of EMFs
- And more!
When: February 21, 2018, 12:00 pm – 1:15 pm (Eastern)
Passive Solar Design and Online Tools for Window Shading Design, Analysis and LEED – Free CEU Webinar
- Know the importance of correctly addressing window locating and shading needs and how it fits in with LEED BD+C V4 Building Orientation for Passive Solar
- Understand the seasonal and daily performance of horizontal window overhangs and how it helps with LEED BD+C V4 Building Orientation for Passive Solar
- Articulate how to use design tools to determine instantaneous window shading from horizontal overhangs and if you can get credit in LEED BD+C V4 Building Orientation for Passive Solar
- Understand how to use design tools to determine annual window shading from horizontal overhangs
- And more!
When: February 28, 2018, 12:00 pm – 1:15 pm (Eastern)
Understanding RESNET’s Home Energy Rating System (HERS Index) – Free CEU Webinar
- Describe how a Home Energy Rating works and ties into LEED BD+C V4 EA Annual Energy Use
- Describe the process for conducting a Home Energy Rating that is required for LEED BD+C V4 Minimum Energy Performance and what impact it can have on occupant health
- Explain how RESNET’s Home Energy Rating System works with green building, LEED BD+C V4 Energy Budget, energy efficiency and utility programs as well as building energy codes;
- Understand the requirements for becoming a HERS Rater and the health and life safety aspects of what Raters do.
- And more!
When: April 11, 2018, 12:00 pm – 1:15 pm (Eastern)
You can check out all GreenHome Institute’s events at https://greenhomeinstitute.org/events/.
Attend the Roofing Industry’s Best-Practices Seminar in Residential Attic Venting
Air Vent’s best practices in residential attic ventilation seminar turns 20 in January. You’re invited to attend any of their 25 stops across North America during quarter one of 2018. Over 23,000 roofing professionals have participated in sharing these industry tips; don’t be the only one who hasn’t.
Here’s a list of the upcoming live events’ locations and dates:
- Buffalo, NY – February 20, 2018
- Vaughan, Canada – February 21, 2018
- Novi/Livonia, MI – February 22, 2018
- Kalamazoo, MI – February 23, 2018
- Fort Collins, CO – February 28, 2018
- Denver, CO – March 1, 2018
- Independence, OH – March 6, 2018
- Dublin, OH – March 7, 2018
- Indianapolis, IN – March 8, 2018
- Des Moines, IA – March 13, 2018
- Madison, WI – March 14, 2018
- Bloomington, MN – March 15, 2018
- Raleigh, NC – March 20, 2018
- Columbia, SC – March 21, 2018
Click here for more information about these events.
Earn 8 AIBD Primary Credits at a Fee Proposal Workshop
If you’re a Certified Professional Building Designer, we’d like to inform you that the AIBD Approved Fee Proposal Workshop is now open for registration.
Learn how to write more effective proposals: utilize Fee Psychology, Negotiation Strategies and Pricing Models to; increase fee levels, raise conversion rates, avoid scope/mission creep and improve Client relationships.
- 85% of attendees say it’s the most useful CE event they’ve attended
- 98% say they’d recommend it to other Design Professionals
- LOS ANGELES – 20th Feb 2018
- SEATTLE – 21st Feb 2018
- DENVER – 23rd Feb 2018
- DALLAS – 26th Feb 2018
- AUSTIN – 27th Feb 2018
- ORLANDO – 1st Mar 2018
- MIAMI – 2nd Mar 2018
- NEW YORK – 5th Mar 2018
- NEW YORK – 6th Mar 2018
- WASHINGTON – 8th Mar 2018
- CHICAGO – 9th Mar 2018
- February 27th – March 2nd – SoftList
- March 6th – 9th – Quick Start Class
- March 20th – 23rd – Intermediate
- April 10th – 13th – 3D Modeling
- April 17th – 20th – Roof
- April 24th – 27th – SoftList
- May 1st – 4th – Quick Start Class
- May 8th – 11th – Intermediate
- Salt Lake City, Utah March 6, 2018
- Boise, Idaho March 7, 2018
- Spokane, Washington March 8, 2018
- Austin, Texas March 14, 2018
- San Antonio, Texas March 15, 2018
- Dallas, Texas March 28, 2018
- Denver, Colorado April 4, 2018
- Las Vegas, Nevada April 24, 2018
- Santa Ana California, May 15, 2018
- North Los Angeles, May 16, 2018
- Riverside, California, May 17, 2018
- San Francisco, California, May 30, 2018
- Sacramento, California, May 31, 2018
The workshops will be held at the following locations and dates:
The rest of the infromation you need, such as fees, dates, exact locations, registration, and an FAQ, can be found at http://blueturtlemc.com/usa-workshops.
SoftPlan online training for 2018
2018 SoftPlan Training Dates
Upcoming StruCalc seminars:
AIBD members are welcome the participate in one of our free four hour StruCalc seminars to be held at various locations throughout the United States. Upon completion, you will receive a certificate for four hours of continuing education credit.
Seminars will be held at the following times and locations:
You can register for one of these events, or request for an event to be held in your area by clicking this link: http://www.strucalc.com/strucalc-seminars/.
Welcome new AIBD members!
Please help us welcome those who joined or rejoined AIBD this past week.
We are pleased you have chosen AIBD as a resource for professional and personal growth. Membership provides technical information, advocacy, professional networking opportunities, as well as participate in programming sessions offered at various conferences throughout the year. All designed to help advance your career.
Visit “SearchHomeDesigners.com” to reach out and exchange information with other professionals in the building designer industry supporting the AIBD mission.
Check out the AIBD Job Board
Whether you’re looking for a job, or looking to hire someone, this is the best job board in our industry.
If you’re looking for work, it’s free to post your resume. This is great because if you’re looking for work, you’re probably pinching pennies until you get it. If you’re a student, we understand your student debt is high enough. You won’t have to pay anything to seek employment through our job board.
If you’re looking to hire some help, you can use our job board to search for quality candidates. You’ll be able to browse the resumes for free, and contact the candidates for free. You’ll pay only when the candidate is interested in your position. Hiring the right person is an investment in your company, and saving time with our easy to use job board will free you up to focus on other tasks.
Go check out the job board right now at AIBD.org/jobs.
Also, if you’re looking to hire, don’t forget that we have training on the right way to hire employees. AIBD members can take this course for free; just give us a call at 800-366-2423 or email us at email@example.com.
AIBD wants to promote your event or content!
In the last six months, we’ve more than doubled the traffic to our AIBD blog. We’re hitting well over 7000 views per month.
This is great because it gives the AIBD more exposure, which leads to more subscribers to our MondayMINUTE newsletter, and ultimately more AIBD members.
As an AIBD member, you have access to this resource. You deserve a piece of those 7000 views.
All you need to do is write a blog post and submit it to us!
For more information on how to get your content onto the AIBD blog and/or in the MondayMINUTE, check out this blog post.
We are also accepting entries for this newsletter, the MondayMINUTE. Entries MUST be received by end of day Thursday. Any entries received Friday morning or later will be in the next week’s newsletter.
Join AIBD’s industry e-newspaper.
Want to know what’s going on in your industry but don’t have time to surf the web, follow Twitter, or sift through the useless posts on Facebook? Now you can. We’ll filter out the senseless stuff and deliver relevant industry news, trends and ideas directly to your inbox every weekday. Subscribe today for FREE.
The #HomeDESIGN Professional Daily is a content curation subscription that turns socially shared industry news into a useful online newspaper. Last week’s editions included the world’s first smart streets, a 3D printed office of the future, how small firms keep up, and more. The paper is organized in sections – Science, Business, Technology, Environment, plus daily sections. There are instructional videos, interviews and inspirational photographs.
“If you think your boss is stupid, remember: you wouldn’t have a job if he was any smarter.”
― John M. Gottman
Follow the AIBD Facebook Page!
Click here to go to the page now.